June 1997 NLE Comparison Notes:
The following is a comparison by Michael Huebmer
-- more info below) that was sent to the VLM / DraCo / Casablanca
Mailing List on June 23, 1997.
(Note: the illustrious developer of DraCoNet does not agree with every
detail here, but overall the information appears quite accurate. Notes
in brackets [like this] are added for clarity.)
My personal feeling when using and selling:
Perception with SpeedRazor 3.51 on Intergraph TDZ-410 Workstation
DraCo 060 with MovieShop 4.2 (no Problems when Updating from 3.6)
Casablanca V1.5 + FX Disk 1-4 & Font Disk 1-4 (arrived today!)
[Also Broadcaster Elite and Silicon Graphics]
In all Systems we use Seagate Barracuda 9 GB Hard disks for Demo-Use.
(Seagate Elite 23 AV Hard disk also tested (even Casablanca) - works fine in
an external case)
+ for Perception & Speed Razor:
(DPS Hollywood System the same, just needs some Cheetahs to work with D1
- BetaSP+Y/C In/Out
- Batch Capturing is working
- Direct Access to Single-Frames via FileSystem (can render directly to perception HD, or get files for PhotoShop)
- Multi Copy/Cut/Paste of Clips with Insert Function
- Multi Undo
- Realtime playback up to four Audio-Tracks
- FX Board for fast rendering (Fade Video in 13 Sec. - but only a few FX, (Wipe,Fade,Transparency,Scale)
- Can use all PC Software
- Editing+Playback several Clips from different drives in one Project possible.
+ for DraCo & MovieShop:
- Better Reorganizing (Perception can't get rid of a 5 minute scene if you need just 5 Sec. from it)
- Fast Preview Window (SpeedRazor can just render in Full Video-Resolution, that takes time)
- More Usable FX (depends on what you produce)
- No System-Crash ever (and we present a lot)
- Monument Titler 3.0 (textured Fonts with animations and good Preview directly in Titler Software)
- Hard- and Software from one Hand (no calling DPS or InSync four to find out whose fault the Bugs are)
- Slowmotion and faster playback is working without flickering
- Reverse Playback is in the MovieShop Software (DPS Software can, but SpeedRazor not)
- Window definition for Recording, Editing, Audio,... can be saved user defined.
+ for Casablanca:
- Ease to Use Software for Video User who don't want to buy a PC
- Much cheaper than Perception or DraCo
- Working better than any Fast AV-Master or Mirror DC-xx Board
- Hides in the Living-Room as well
Broadcaster Elite no longer (never got two boards to run stable)
Silicon Graphics O2 has the most powerful Video- & Graphics Chips in this
price range, but the Software is either too expensive (Jaleo) or not ready
jet (Adobe Premiere, SpeedRazor SGI). Take a look at this Baby!
# Perception is for professional use when you need BetaSP [component] I/Os
# DraCo is for semi-professional user where Y/C I/O is OK
The picture quality you see on a good monitor is quite the same.
[I assume by "semi-pro", Michael means,
"non-component video output". To me (and many others), this
does not constitute pro or non-pro, but simply the method of video
tranfer to the tape decks. As he notes, quality is NOT compromised through
the DraCo's Y/C or composite outputs.]
Handling is very individually felt.
# Casablanca is made [designed] for Home users
You can't tell the difference between master DV-tape and Casablanca edited
DV via Y/C I/O.
The editing of longer projects is a bit difficult with the trackball-only
solution [but a standard PC-type mouse and keyboard
can also be used].
Hope this will help...
best wishes from Austria,
(' O-O ')
! Michael Huebmer !
! Desktop Video & LightWave 3D Support !
! DraCo & Perception, Silicon Graphics !
! A.R.T.Computeranimation Ges.m.b.H. !
! Feldstr. 13, A-3300 Amstetten, Austria !
! Tel. +43-7472-635660 / Fax: 635666 !
! Personal EMail: firstname.lastname@example.org !
! HomePage: http://www.art.at/~michael !
Up To Main KERNERSVILLE.COM Page
Up To DraCoNet Home Page